Thank you to the amazing sponsors and volunteers who made the 2017 Nordic Toonie Race series possible, a special thanks to Benoit Reneault for taking over the coordination of the races this season – they would not have happened without you!
The Whistler Nordics host the Nordic Toonie Races on Thursday nights at Lost Lake in Whistler during the winter ski season. Each night comprises a fun ‘race’ lit by headlamp then a social afterwards. The races are open to everyone, young and old, and of all abilities. While there are a few racers who like to compete there are many recreational skiers and families who are out for a fun night, to exercise, to get to know the local ski trails, and socialize with other skiers. Each race costs $2 (Toonie) and every participant must be a Whistler Nordics member, if you’d like to ‘try before you buy’ we offer a one-off ‘Try a Toonie’ for $5 for non-members (not available for the last race of the season). Sign up online as a member to save time at registration.
Next Toonie Race is in 2018!
Location & Course:
Sign-in: 5:45pm Location TBC
Race start: 6:15pm
Race fee: $2.00
MANDATORY FOR ALL RACERS
- Be a Whistler Nordics Ski Club member* (sign up online beforehand to take part)
- Have a valid trail pass: $5 Thursdays
- Wear a HEAD LAMP
*If you’d like to ‘try before you buy’ we offer a one-off ‘Try a Toonie’ for $5 for non-members (not available for the last race of the season).
2017 Race dates & Sponsors
We had a great season of skiing with everyone and await the return of the snow in 2018.
January 19: Avalanche Pizza, Brewhouse, Ryders Eyewear
January 26: Cross Country Connection & Whistler Brewing & Rainbow Electric
February 2: Table Nineteen Lakeside Eatery, Nicklaus North Golf Course, The Whistler Real Estate Company Ltd
February 8: Whistler Olympic Park, Whistler Cooks NOTE: Wednesday night! 6-6:30PM Sign-in, 6:30PM start and Après all at the Biathlon Technical Building, Whistler Olympic Park. Participants can park in the upper Biathlon parking lot. WOP Trail Pass mandatory – $5 on Wednesday nights!
February 16: Whistler Brewing, Sportstop Source For Sports, Fairmont Chateau Whistler
February 23: Scandinave Spa & Whistler Brewing, Grassroots Pizza and Café, Ryders Eyewear
|Cross Country Connection, located at the Passiv Haus, has a Toonie rentals deal: hire skis, boots and poles for $15 for the race, be sure to allow yourself time to pick up your rentals, not every race starts at the Passiv Haus.|
Call for Sponsors/Volunteers
If you are involved with a local business and would be interested in sponsoring a race either with course marshals, après location/food/drinks or door prizes we would love to hear from you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. These races are on a much smaller scale than the summer bike toonies (approximately 30 participants) so they are a perfect opportunity for small businesses to get involved with the local community and have some fun! Each week we need assistance in the form of course marshals and to help at registration, each volunteer is receives a draw prize ticket and a food and beverage ticket. Contact email@example.com to express interest.
Toonie Race Etiquette
- If you want to race please self seed and position yourself near the front of the pack, this way you won’t be trying to pass lots of skiers.
- Stay on the Trail: As Whistler Nordics members we do our best to take care of the trails that the operators maintain and groom. That means that we always stay on the trail. Cutting corners and skiing off trail are not acceptable.
- Passing: There is a diverse mix of abilities at the Toonie Races. If you are skiing along with people behind you, ask them if they want pass. Check regularly to see if there is anyone on your tail. If you notice someone behind you all of a sudden, let them pass you when it is safe to do so. Likewise, if you would like to pass the person in front of you, ask them politely if you can pass them. Make sure it is a safe place to pass, stay on the trail and thank them for letting you by.
- Have fun!
The Toonie Races would not exist without the support of the sponsors who are local businesses. Each week is different; there may be food and/or beverages and/or draw prizes depending on the sponsor. Be sure to thank the sponsors, they appreciate your gratitude.